Apple Potato Salad Recipe
This potato salad recipe has apples in the mix for a bit of sweetness and a lot of crunch. This recipe is sponsored by Jazz Apples. All thoughts are my own.
Did you know that potato salad isn’t only for summer BBQs? In fact, in Germany it’s popular to have potato salad (with sausages…yum!) on Christmas Eve.*
That may seem a bit strange. But ask yourself why it is that potato salad is so perfect for BBQs. It’s because potato salad is easy to make in large quantities, right? Large quantities that are full of deliciousness. So much deliciousness that I’d be happy to eat large quantities of it at every celebration, from summer to winter and all the months in between.
When I think about lightening potato salad, I usually think about the mayonnaise. I end up opting for low-fat mayonnaise, less mayonnaise or no mayonnaise. But this time I was fixated on the carby potatoes. I thought that one way to make potato salad a bit healthier might be to put less potatoes in it. But what to add instead?
I decided to try adding apples. Why? One of the things I like to add to potato salad is celery. Celery and apples taste amazing together. I was hoping that they would work here. I also added some cider vinegar to the dressing to tie that apple flavor in throughout.
The result? You’ve gotta try it! The apples add a little bit of sweetness and a lot of crunch. And they just plain work. So much so that I swear I’m going to put apples in all of my potato salads, all year long, from now on.
What kind of apple should you use in this potato salad recipe? I went with Jazz Apples and for a good reason: Jazz has partnered with the American and Canadian Diabetes Associations to help change lives in a meaningful way using their fun and easy Crunch to Contribute campaign. Crunch on a JAZZ apple, post a photo, and $1 will be donated to either the American or Canadian Diabetes Associations.
While the growers of this tangy-sweet, summer-fresh treat are in New Zealand, they wanted their fruit to contribute toward a far-reaching diabetes prevention solution. High in fiber, JAZZ apples add crunch―and zingy flavor!―to virtually any recipe.
And join me for a twitter party sponsored by Jazz tonight, Wednesday July 30th, at 9pm EST. We’ll be focusing on summer picnic foods like this potato salad. Join us for some summer fun and prizes too. Follow hashtag #SumemrPicnic.
And now, here’s my easy and healthy Apple Potato Salad recipe:
Oh wait. Don’t forget to scroll down for other delicious Jazz apples recipes to check out.
Apple Potato Salad
This potato salad recipe have apples in the next four wonderful crunch and a bit of sweetness. It's delicious. You got to try it!
- 2 lbs. baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (low-fat or regular)
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. neutral-flavored oil like grape seed or vegetable
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 jazz apples, cored and cut into 1/2" chunks (leave the peel on)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Put into a medium pot with 2 teaspoons of salt. Cover with cold water. Heat to a boil over high heat, partially covered.
- Uncover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until fork-tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain and allow to cool for 15-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl use a fork to whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add the celery, green onions and apples. Stir and serve.
During the summer in the U.S., pears and apples abound in New Zealand. When you see New Zealand pears and apples in the stores they’re super-fresh and ready to eat. That’s why we’ve teamed up to come up with a bunch of delicious summer recipes featuring New Zealand pears and apples. Today, we’re focusing on recipes using Jazz Apples. Check them all out below. And follow along all summer on social media using #loveNZfruit.
Healthy Chicken Waldorf Salad from It’s Yummi!
Zephyr Squash, Onion and Apple Saute from Pastry Chef Online
Apple Basil Mojitos from Cooking with Books
Campfire Apple and Pork Packets from Big Bear’s Wife
Apple & Chicken Salad with Honey Poppyseed Dressing from Around My Family Table
Summer Bounty Salad from Real Housemoms
Grilled Romaine Salad with Quinoa, Apples, Corn, & Dijon Vinaigrette from Climbing Grier Mountain
Pea Shoot, Pickled Cherry and Apple Salad from Nutmeg Nanny
Cinnamon and Ginger Jazz Apple Chips from doughmesstic
24 Responses to “Apple Potato Salad Recipe”
- Apple & Chicken Salad with Honey Poppyseed Dressing
- 50 Potato Salad Recipes - Julie's Eats & Treats
- 36 Gluten Free Picnic Foods - Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Healthy Chicken Waldorf Salad from @itsyummi
- 40 Sweet & Savory Apple Recipes - Family Food And Travel
- Zephyr Squash, Onion and Apple Saute | #loveNZfruit