The Ultimate Loaded Baked Potato Salad
This, my friends, is the best potato salad ever. The Ultimate Loaded Baked Potato Salad mmhhmm :-). It’s made with all your favorite baked potato toppings. That’s right: Sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions and BACON. This one will steal the picnic!
It’s grilling season and I can sure tell because my Best Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe is going crazy on Google and Pinterest (thanks for all the shares, you guys!). I figured that if y’all are grilling up a storm, you need something to serve alongside it. Enter the BEST potato salad EVER.
What makes it so amazing? It’s based on the flavors of a loaded baked potato. So you’ve got cheddar cheese, green onions and bacon. So good, right? I think what makes it the best though is that the dressing isn’t made with as much mayonnaise as most potato salads. Instead, it’s half mayo and half sour cream (you can totally use Greek yogurt to make it healthier). The sour cream gives it a light, fresh flavor and adds a different kind of creaminess than mayonnaise does. I like it so much that I’m going to try making some of my other favorite potato salad recipes with half sour cream.
You’re hungry now right?
Sorry. one more thing before I share the recipe. I have a crucial tip. An important tip. You might even call it a crucially important tip.
My Crucially Important Potato Salad Tip: If you make potato salad ahead of time (a day or several hours before), you need to add more dressing before serving.
You see, potatoes love to suck up liquid. If you make a creamy potato salad and then stick it in the fridge for awhile, the potatoes keep sucking. And sucking. When you take it out of the fridge, it might look creamy because the fat has remained on the outside of the salad. But much of the moisture of the dressing is now inside of the potatoes.
What you need to do is taste it. If it’s not as creamy as you remembered from a few hours ago, add more dressing. In this case you’ll be adding equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream. Start with two tablespoons of each. Stir gently and taste again. When the creaminess is how you like it, start scooping!
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream (possibly more before serving)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (possibly more before serving)
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add 1 tablespoon of salt and just enough water to cover them. Put pot over high heat until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally until fork tender, 7-9 minutes. Drain and rinse. Cover with cold water, stir and drain a few times to start them cooling down.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a large bowl combine the scallions, bacon, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the black pepper, sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl and stir gently to combine. Cover and chill. Once cooled, add the cheddar cheese and stir. Cover and cool until time to serve.
- Before serving, stir and then taste. It is possible that the potatoes will have soaked up some of the dressing and that it is now less creamy and moist than it was before. If this has happened, add an additional 2 tablespoons each of sour cream and mayonnaise. Stir and taste. Repeat if needed.