Best Ever Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Do you have ketchup, mustard and honey? You have to try this best EVER Basic Homemade BBQ Sauce. It’s so simple, but is so good. And it’s going to save your life when you need some sauce and there’s not a bottle of it to be found in your pantry.
There are several ingredients that I always think I have on hand, but when I go to start cooking it turns out we don’t have any.
This happens a lot with barbecue sauce. I always think we have a few bottles in the pantry. I go to grab one, and there aren’t any. Because of this, I’ve develop a quick basic barbecue sauce. It uses simple ingredients that I usually have and it only takes a minute to whip up.
It’s made out of ketchup, mustard and honey. That’s it.
The beauty of it is that you can change it if you’re in the mood. You can use brown sugar or molasses instead of honey, you can use Dijon mustard instead of the regular yellow mustard, you can add Worcestershire sauce or Tabasco sauce, sprinkle in some garlic powder or some smoked paprika for smoky flavor. Really the options are endless.
The reason this simple sauce works is because of the flavor balance. You have salty and sweet flavors in the ketchup, more sweet from the honey and then a good tang from the mustard.
It’s also great because the sugar content in the sauce makes it caramelize on food when it’s cooking.
To make those chicken drumsticks, I followed the basic method for Easy Make Ahead Chicken for a Crowd. Except, instead of grilling them, I put them under the broiler for a few minutes, just until the chicken started to blacken in spots.
Soooo good. You’re going to love making this easy staple and doctoring it up in new ways.
Here’s the recipe for the easy BBQ sauce. Let me know if you love it!
Basic Homemade Barbecue Sauce
All you really need for a simple BBQ sauce is ketchup, mustard and honey (or brown sugar). You can add salt if you'd like. Try 1/4 teaspoon to start. After that, leave it alone or jazz it up with garlic powder, cayenne, tabasco or Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 and 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
- salt to taste, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
Video by Leigh Olson. Article, photos and recipe by Christine Pittman.
95 Responses to “Best Ever Homemade Barbecue Sauce”
- How to Make Homemade Ketchup, Mustard and 8 Other Condiments at Home - Internet Money
- How to Make Homemade Ketchup, Mustard and 8 Other Condiments at Home – DailyKrunch.com
- How to Make Homemade Ketchup, Mustard and 8 Other Condiments at Home | Food. Fashion. Fitness
- 8 Delicious Meals I Make From My Homestead Harvest Each Winter
- 10 Ways to Save Money and the Environment – Monica Mandeville
- The Ultimate Loaded Baked Potato Salad - Cook the Story
- Grilled Chicken for a Crowd (The Easy Make-Ahead Way)
- A Sneak Peak my New Garden – Cristies Cookin
- Easy Tender Juicy Make-Ahead Ribs - Cook the Story
- Best BBQ Sauce - Yum Goggle