This summer corn salad recipe is sweet, creamy, and spicy all at once. Perfect for your summer BBQs!
This corn salad recipe is adapted from one I observed Kevin Bevington, BBQ champ extraordinaire, making at a BBQ class. I didn’t write anything down and so I had to recreate it from memory. Memory and my own twists. I use fresh jalapenos instead of jarred, added cilantro, and way less butter and cream cheese. The result was a perfect summer BBQ side dish.
What Type Of Corn Should I Use?
The recipe calls for defrosted frozen corn but if you have lots of cobs, grill them and then cut the kernels off. Such a great way to show off fresh corn.
You can also use fresh corn that has been microwaved or made in the air fryer.
Serving Summer Corn Salad
I usually serve this salad warm because the sauce is made of cream cheese and butter. If it’s cold, the butter coagulates a bit. Room temperature works too, but if you really want it fridge cold, skip the butter and use half cream cheese and half mayonnaise instead.
I’m seriously obsessed with corn in the summer.Print
Creamy Spicy Summer Corn Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This summer corn salad recipe is sweet, creamy and spicy all at once. Perfect for your summer BBQs!
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this corn salad, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:
- 3 cups of corn (you can either shave it* from 3–4 cobs of corn or defrost some frozen)
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped red onion (green onions work too!)
- 2–3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced (decide how many jalapenos to use based on how spicy you like things)
- a handful of cilantro leaves, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, if serving warm.
- In a medium casserole dish, combine the corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Squeeze the cream cheese and butter into a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 20 seconds.
- Stir. Repeat until the butter is melted and the cream cheese is soft. Stir for a while until they are fully incorporated together and smooth (not curdled-looking at all).
- Pour the hot sauce over the corn mixture. Stir. Serve at room temperature or cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.
This recipe can be made ahead and then refrigerated before baking but it will then take a little bit longer to heat through. If you leave it in your fridge and forget about it until after the steaks are ready, no worries. You can heat it in the microwave! Two minutes on high then stir. Repeat until heated through.
If you choose to use corn on the cob, cook it first and then shave the kernels off.
This post originally appeared in July 2016 and was revised and republished in July 2020.
Leave a Reply