This farro recipe with cream cheese and spinach is as simple as it is delicious.
My favorite kind of food is delicious, hearty, and healthy all at once. I think that’s why I’ve fallen in love with farro. It really meets my criteria for a favorite food. I love eating it and I feel good eating it. That’s why I came up with a simple but delicious farro recipe that everyone will love.
For this easy side dish, you cook the farro using any method you’d like. Then you mix it with a touch of cream cheese and some chopped fresh spinach and serve hot.
What Is Farro?
Farro is an ancient grain that is similar to barley and spelt. It has lots of fiber and is high in protein for a grain. Read all about it over on TheCookful.
See? Farro really is delicious, hearty, and healthy. You’ve gotta love that!
How Do You Cook Farro?
If you haven’t cooked farro before, don’t worry. It’s really simple, kind of like rice. Here are instructions for how to cook farro using three different methods (stovetop, oven, and slow cooker).
When it comes to farro, you don’t have to soak it before cooking but that does reduce the cooking time a bit. But even without soaking it can be ready in about 30-40 minutes so it’s not that big a deal.
I do always rinse farro before cooking it. I’m actually not sure why I do that. It’s become a habit. I know that for some grains, like quinoa, it makes a big difference for flavor. In that case, there is sometimes a fine unnoticeable bitter-flavored powder on the grains that I know I prefer to rinse off before cooking. So I rinse my quinoa and now I rinse other grains that I’m not as familiar with just in case.
If you’re looking for more farro recipes, I have an entree that I bet your whole family will love. It’s a meatball recipe with farro and rosemary rolled right into the balls. If you’re looking for a gateway to your family trying more grains, this meatball recipe is definitely one to try:Print
Farro with Cream Cheese and Spinach
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
This delicious farro recipe is a great side dish with almost any protein. It’s creamy and healthy, and delicious, too!
- 1 and 1/2 cups farro
- 4 cups water, stock or a mixture of both
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. cream cheese or 1/3 fat cream cheese
- Measure the farro into a fine mesh sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain. You can then cook the farro according to any of the methods outlined here. I’m giving instructions for the stovetop method.
- Transfer farro to a medium sized pot that has a lid. Add the water or stock and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, until it is softened but still chewy. If there is liquid remaining in the pot, drain it off or save it to add to a soup, stew, or sauce.
- While the farro is still hot, stir in the spinach, cream cheese, and a pinch of salt and of pepper. Taste. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Leave a Reply