Italian Cauliflower and Quinoa Bake
Delicious and with a big protein punch, this vegetarian quinoa bake is going to get scooped up so quickly!
Do you do Meatless Monday? I don’t. But I do try to eat at least one vegetarian dinner per week.
But over here, we’re really used to a lot of protein so when I do make a meatless dinner, I try to make sure it’s really hearty and satisfying in the protein department.
One of the tricks to satisfying this protein need is to include at least two protein sources per meal. That’s why my Gallo Pinto recipe, a Nicaraguan dish that has beans and rice topped with a fried egg, is one of our go-to vegetarian dishes.
Today’s recipe for Italian Cauliflower and Quinoa Bake is similar. It has both high-protein quinoa and cheese. Combined with the meaty texture of roasted cauliflower, it’s satisfying from the first mouthful.
Here’s a video showing how to make it:
I hope you love it as much as I do,
You’ll wish every day is Meatless Monday with this bake. Cauliflower offers a meaty texture. Quinoa adds protein.
- 30 oz. cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 30 oz. tomato sauce (no sodium, add salt to taste)
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella, divided
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a 13 x 9-inch pan combine cauliflower, olive oil, salt, oregano, basil and black pepper. Toss and roast until cauliflower is lightly browned in spots, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions (will yield about 3 cups cooked). Drain if needed and fluff with a fork. Transfer it to a medium bowl and add the tomato sauce, 4 ounces of the cheese and salt to taste (if desired).
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and add the quinoa mixture to it. Stir. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and tomato sauce is bubbly, 15-20 minutes.
If you like the idea behind this cauliflower dinner, I bet you’ll also like this Italian Roasted Cauliflower side dish. It’s one of my most popular recipes on Pinterest and I’m excited that so many people are loving it.
Video by Leigh Olson. Article and recipe by Christine Pittman.
This post originally appeared in August, 2015 and was revised and republished in October, 2017.
How to Roast a Whole Head of Cauliflower
Leave a Comment