Beef Pot Roast is synonymous with Sunday Suppers, but with this Instant Pot Chuck Roast recipe, you can have the reserved-for-the-weekend dinner any night of the week.
If you wanted to serve a beef pot roast on any other day of the week than Sunday (or maybe Saturday) the best option that you had, was to start it in your slow cooker before you left for work. It’s a solid option, but it sure is nice to have more than one option, isn’t it?
Pot Roast In An Instant Pot
Your Instant Pot can get this long-cooking meat on the table in less time than it takes the kids to get their homework done. And it is fall-apart, amazingly delicious to boot.
Note though, if you do want to go the traditional route and cook your pot roast the old fashioned way, I have the recipe for you! This classic pot roast recipe gives you that perfect dish every single time. You can also cook a chuck roast in the slow cooker for amazing flavor.
Or, read on below to learn how to make a delicious pot roast in the Instant Pot.
What Cut Of Beef Should I Use?
A good pot roast can be made with any quality cut of beef. Some of the more popular cuts are eye of round, chuck roast, or brisket. Both the brisket and the eye of round are lean cuts and can be sliced. But the chuck roast is my favorite cut because I like to serve my pot roast shredded over a big dollop of mashed potatoes with some of the cooking juices drizzled on top.
Want to use chuck roast and turn it into shredded beef? Try my Slow Cooker Shredded Beef recipe!
Don’t Forget Gravy!
If you are a fan of a deep, rich gravy, the cooking liquid from this pot roast is the perfect base. Follow my how to make gravy tutorial and rather than dirtying another pot, make it right in the Instant Pot using the sauté function.
Whichever way you choose to serve this tasty Instant Pot chuck roast, I am sure that your family is going to be begging you to start cooking it on at least one of the other six days of the week.
Or check out my Braised Beef Shanks which also get cooked slowly with wine and beef broth.Print
Beef Pot Roast is synonymous with Sunday Suppers, but with this Instant Pot recipe, you can have the reserved-for-the-weekend dinner any night of the week.
- 1 (3 lb.) beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- 3 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Season the roast with salt and pepper, making sure that all sides are covered. Set aside.
- Add oil to the inner pot and select Sauté to pre-heat. When the indicator says ‘Hot’, add the roast to the inner pot and brown on all sides. Transfer to a clean plate.
- Add the onion and the garlic to the inner pot and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom to loosen all of the tasty bits.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to combine and add the beef back into the pot.
- Close and lock the lid. Make sure the steam release handle is in the sealed position. Select Pressure Cook and cook on high. Set 60 minutes of pressure cooking time.
- When time is up, naturally release for 10 minutes. Turn the steam release handle to the venting position to release any remaining steam.
- When the valve has dropped, unlock the lid and open carefully.
- Remove to a cutting board and cut against the grain or shred and serve with your favorite side.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
This post originally appeared in March 2019 and was revised and republished in January 2023.