This easy Salmon Burger recipe relies on things right from your pantry. Fresh parsley and lemon zest add a pop of color and a bright flavor to the canned salmon.
Burgers and summer are one of those classic combinations. The burgers just seem to taste so much better during the warm months of summer. They’re easy to mix up and cook on the stovetop or the grill. Add some corn on the cob from the grill or the microwave and supper is served!
When I’m feeling like a beef burger, I use my Best Burger Recipe but sometimes, I want a something that I can throw together from the pantry. And this Salmon Burger recipe that uses canned salmon fits the bill. I like to season it with herbs and spices that I would use with fresh salmon. The parsley and the lemon add a nice bright flavor.
One thing that’s important when making these burgers is to make sure that you drain the salmon well. I like to let it sit in the colander for about 5 minutes before I add the rest of the ingredients. If the salmon is too wet, the burgers don’t come together as well as if it’s a little dryer.
When making the patties, I divide the mixture up into 4 equal portions. I sometimes even use a kitchen scale to make sure that they’re all the same size. I then take each portion and form it into a large ball and then flatten it into a disc that’s about 4-inches in diameter. Because the salmon is already cooked, these burgers will not shrink much so there’s no need to oversize the patties. If cracks form around the edges when you flatten them, just smooth them out with your hand.
This recipe tends to be a bit delicate, so I prefer to cook the burgers in a frying pan rather than on the grill. They cook up fairly quickly, so I like to toast the potato buns before I start cooking the burgers. That way everything’s ready to assemble when the burgers come out of the pan.
My toppings of choice are simple and really compliment the salmon well; lettuce, cucumber, and tomato. I generally don’t use any other condiments because I think that these flavors play off of each other so perfectly. But if you wanted to add a dollop of sour cream, I wouldn’t be offended :)
This easy Salmon Burger recipe relies on things right from your pantry. Fresh parsley and lemon zest add a pop of color and a bright flavor to the canned salmon. I like to serve these burgers topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce, maybe some dill pickles too for tang. The toppings are up to you!
- 12 oz. canned salmon, drained well
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil for frying
- Hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl, combine the salmon, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and zest, stirring to distribute all ingredients evenly.
- Divide salmon mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each into a tight ball. Using your hands, flatten the ball into a disc about 4-inches in diameter. Smooth any cracks at the edges with the palm of your hand.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil. Fry the burgers until golden brown and crispy, about 3 – 4 minutes per side.
- Serve patties on toasted buns with your toppings of choice.