The secret to all the amazing flavor in this soup is to start with fresh aromatics like onions, celery and garlic. You can absolutely start a soup with these ingredients and still be finished in 15 minutes. To make this soup quickly, first read through the recipe. As you read gather together all of the tools and ingredients that you will need so that everything is at your fingertips. But there is no need to prep any ingredients. All of the prep is found in the instructions section and is included in the 15 minute prep time. Yield 10 cups.
- 1 Tbsp. grape seed or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1 small onion
- 3 medium potatoes
- 6 sliced pre-cooked bacon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (8 oz.) bottles of clam juice.
- 1 cup low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (6.5 oz.) can chopped clams
- 2 cups half and half
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the oil. Cut the butter into pieces and add it to the oil. Finely chop the celery and add it to the pot. Increase heat to medium. Peel and chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir.
- Use a fork to prick the potatoes in several places each. Put them on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high power for 3 minutes. Flip and microwave until fork tender, 2-3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop up the bacon and add it to the celery and onions. Mince the garlic and add it along with the pepper, thyme and salt. Stir. Sprinkle with the flour. Stir. Drizzle in one half of one of the bottles of clam juice. Stir well and then add the rest of the bottle. Repeat with the remaining to bottles, adding half a bottle at a time before stirring and continuing. Add the chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring up to a simmer while stirring often.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, wear oven mitts to protect your hands from the heat and chop them into 1/2 inch cubes. Add the potatoes to the soup. Add the cans of chopped clams, along with their juice, to the soup. Stir and allow to cook for a minute. Stir in the half and half and heat through before serving.