Enjoy the flavors of the Greek Isles with this refreshing Greek Seafood Soup. Filled with fish, feta, red onions, and garlic, this soup begs for a side of pita to sop up every last bite.
Seafood is probably my favorite protein to include in soups. The reason is that it’s so quick-cooking. I’ve got a whole bunch of quick soup recipes on this site that have fish and shellfish for that reason. Check out my Manhattan Clam Chowder, Coconut Curry Soup with Shrimp and Rice, and 15-Minute Spicy Mussel Soup.
Greek Salad In A Soup
For today’s Greek Seafood Soup recipe I took my inspiration from a Greek salad. There’s a lot of colorful bell pepper in the soup as well as garlic and aromatic oregano.
But what really makes it like a Greek salad is what you add after you ladle it all into bowls: Feta cheese, kalamata olives, red onion, and dill. Together they add a lot of saltiness and freshness to the soup so that it is as bright and delicious as Greek salad.
Quick Soup Tip
Which brings us to the SouperTip for this soup, what makes it so delicious so quickly. It’s all about the cold toppings. There are all kinds of cold ingredients that you can add as a garnish to a bowl of soup to totally transform it.
Here we went with feta, olives, and onions. But other toppings for soups can be cucumber, chopped tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, green onions, bell peppers, water chestnuts — really anything in your fridge or pantry that doesn’t require cooking and goes with the other flavors in your soup. Experiment with cold toppings on your other favorite soups!Print
All the flavors of Greek Salad are used to make a light but very flavorful seafood soup.
Yield: 8 cups
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this soup, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) bottle clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bell peppers
- ¼ of a medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 tilapia fillets
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- A handful fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- Pour the diced tomatoes (with juice) into a large microwave-safe bowl along with the clam juice and the water. Put it in the microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. While it heats, chop the bell peppers. Add them to the oil. Stir and cover. Chop the red onion. Set it aside. Mince the garlic cloves. Add them to the bell peppers along with the oregano. When the diced tomatoes are finished heating, add them to the pot. Cover and increase heat to high. Heat to boiling and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the fish fillets to the soup. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the dill and quarter the lemon.
- Use a spoon to break up the fish fillets.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with some olives, feta, red onion, and dill. Serve lemon wedges on the side.