Greek Fish Soup in 15 Minutes
Enjoy the flavors of the Greek Isles with this refreshing Greek Fish Soup. Filled with fish, feta, red onions and garlic, this soup begs for a side of pita to sop up every last bite.
Seafood is probably my favorite protein to include in soups. The reason is that it’s so quick-cooking. I’ve got a whole bunch of quick soup recipes on this site that have fish and shellfish for that reason. Here are a few to check out:
15-Minute Manhattan Clam Chowder
Coconut Curry Soup with Shrimp and Rice
15-Minute Spicy Mussel Soup
For today’s Greek Fish Soup recipe I took my inspiration from a Greek salad. There’s a lot of colorful bell pepper in the soup as well as garlic and aromatic oregano.
But what really makes it like a Greek salad is what you add after you ladle it all into bowls: Feta cheese, kalamata olives, red onion and dill. Together they add a lot of saltiness and freshness to the soup so that it is as bright and delicious as Greek salad.
Which brings us to the SouperTip for this soup, what makes it so delicious so quickly. It’s all about the cold toppings. There are all kinds of cold ingredients that you can add as a garnish to a bowl of soup to totally transform it. Here we went with feta, olives and onions. But other toppings for soups can be cucumber, chopped tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, green onions, bell peppers, water chestnuts — really anything in your fridge or pantry that doesn’t require cooking and goes with the other flavors in your soup.
And now, here’s my Greek Fish Soup recipe.
All the flavors of Greek Salad are used to make a light but very flavorful fish soup. Yield 8 cups
- 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) bottle clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bell peppers
- ¼ of a medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 3 tilapia fillets
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- A handful fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- Pour the diced tomatoes (with juice) into a large microwave-safe bowl along with the clam juice and the water. Put it in the microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. While it heats, chop the bell peppers. Add them to the oil. Stir and cover. Chop the red onion. Set it aside. Mince the garlic cloves. Add them to the bell peppers along with the oregano. When the diced tomatoes are finished heating, add them to the pot. Cover and increase heat to high. Heat to boiling and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the fish fillets to the soup. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the dill and quarter the lemon.
- Use a spoon to break up the fish fillets. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with some olives, feta, red onion and dill. Serve lemon wedges on the side.
101 Quick Soups Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
Quick Greek Fish Soup - Yum Goggle
Leave a Comment