Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting COOKtheSTORY!
This Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken only takes a few minutes to get ready in the morning. When you come home it’s only a few more minutes to turn it into gooey cheesy saucy Pulled Chicken Sandwiches.
Did you know that the modern-day slow cooker owes its origins to a Lithuanian grandmother? The story goes that Irving Naxon remembered his grandmother talking about a dish she used to make in a bakery. But not in the bakery’s oven. It was cooked over the oven.
She would place the cooking vessel on top of the oven overnight where the fading heat would cook it slowly, making it perfectly cooked by morning.*
This Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken recipe pays homage to the slow cooker’s bakery history by slow cooking the chicken and then sliding it into soft squishy buns.
This recipe is perfect for when you’re having company over but don ‘t have a lot of time to fuss. In the morning, measure the sauce ingredients straight into the slow cooker and add the chicken. Turn it on and walk away.
Before it’s time to serve your guests, turn on the broiler. While it heats remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Then return it to the slow cooker and stir it into the sauce. Toast the buns under the broiler and then use tongs to place chicken from the slow cooker onto the buns. Top with mozzarella cheese and put them back under the broiler just until it’s melted.
Keep your eye on the sandwiches so that they don’t burn. While the cheese is melting, cut up some cucumbers, tomatoes, and other cold veggies. Dinner is served!
If you’re looking for more make-ahead chicken recipes for a crowd like this one, try this Make-Ahead Grilled Chicken for a Crowd. You bake the chicken pieces first, slowly. Just before serving they get finished on the grill. Easy, juicy and delicious.
Here’s my Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe:
Pulled Chicken Sandwich
This slow cooker pulled chicken only takes a few minutes to get ready in the morning. When you come home it's only a few minutes more to turn it into gooey cheesy saucy pulled chicken sandwiches.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. tabasco
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar (white or cider)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 pounds skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 burger buns
- Put the ketchup, brown sugar, Worchestershire, tabasco, vinegar and salt in the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Add the chicken thighs. Stir until well coated.
- Cook until chicken is falling off the bone, 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove chicken pieces from the sauce. Whisk the dijon mustard into the sauce. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken, removing and discarding bones. Return chicken to sauce.
- Split open the burger buns. Put them cut side up on a large pan and broil until toasted. 2-4 minutes. Remove bun tops from pan and set aside. Pile chicken onto bun bottoms. Top each with 2 Tbsp. shredded cheese and return to broiler until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Put the bun tops on top. Serve with lots of napkins!