Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
There’s nothing easier or tastier than a beef stroganoff made in the slow cooker. Everything goes in, and deliciousness comes out!
Beef stroganoff is one of my favorite cold weather dishes. I usually make it out of leftover pot roast meat (here’s my favorite pot roast recipe). However, if I don’t have leftover pot roast meat, I turn to my slow cooker and make the stroganoff in there.
I know that you can also make stroganoff using beef that is panfried, but then you need to buy a nicer and more expensive cut of beef and I like how inexpensive stroganoff is. Plus I like the melt-in-your-mouth style meat in this kind of dish.
Ok, so let’s get to it. How do you make Beef Stroganoff in the slow cooker?
It’s really really easy. Watch…
Into a 6 quart slow cooker (I have this one and really like it), put 1 medium onion, chopped.
Top it with 16 ounces of sliced mushrooms (I buy them pre-sliced. So much easier and the same price at my store).
Then top that with 2 pounds of stewing beef. I get this already cut into pieces. It comes in 1-2 inch chunks. The cut I used this time was beef round stewing meat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
Pour over 1 cup of unsalted beef broth. It doesn’t sound like much but a lot of liquid is going to come out of the beef and the mushrooms and you don’t want your eventual sauce to be too thin.
Cook it until the meat is cooked through and nice and tender, on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Skim off the fat, if desired.
Mix together 3 tablespoons of corn starch with 6 tablespoons of beef broth. Stir until it’s smooth.
Pour the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker. Stir. Cook for 30 more minutes to thicken the sauce.
Turn off the slow cooker and stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream. Taste, add salt and pepper if needed.
You can also add a tablespoon of dijon mustard. It gives it a nice little bit of acid and some depth.
Done! See how easy that was. And wait until you taste it!!! Ohhhh.
There’s nothing easier or tastier than a beef stroganoff made in the slow cooker. Everything goes in, and deliciousness comes out! Serve over boiled egg noodles, rice, mashed potatoes or thick slices of bread.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 lbs. beef round stewing meat in 1-2 inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup plus 6 Tbsp. unsalted beef stock or broth, divided
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
- Into a 6 quart slow cooker, put the onions and then the mushrooms and then the beef.
- Sprinkle beef with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over 1 cup of the unsalted beef broth.
- Cook until meat is cooked through and tender, on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Skim off the fat, if desired.
- Mix together corn starch with remaining 6 tablespoons of beef broth. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker. Stir. Cook for 30 more minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Turn off slow cooker and stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream. Taste, add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in mustard if desired.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links meaning that if you click one and buy something I receive a small commission. This is at no additional charge to you. All opinions are my own.