Turn on the gas or fire up the charcoal and enjoy these Grilled Salmon Tikka Masala Skewers with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce. I developed this recipe in partnership with Saffron Road.
Here we are! Grilling Season!
I love this time of year. My oven rarely gets turned on, and the grill goes full blast every night. Because we grill so much, we like to switch it up a bit and do different things.
When Saffron Road asked me to create a recipe with their Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce, I immediately thought it would be a perfect addition to our grilling nights.
Putting Together The Skewers
Here’s what we did. We made skewers with corn, zucchini, and chunks of salmon. Note that the corn is hard to get onto the skewers so you need to use metal ones. Wooden ones bend and break. I like metal skewers that are wide and flat like these rather than thinner ones because the food is less likely to spin around on the skewer.
Next we mixed some oil with the rest of the simmer sauce and brushed it onto the salmon and veggies. Then those slathered kebobs hit the grill.
With the other half of the simmer sauce, we made a really tasty dip. We mixed it with Greek yogurt, salt, garlic powder, and lots of cilantro. It has a pretty orange color and is perfect to serve with the Salmon Tikka Masala Skewers.
The Tikka Masala Sauce
I found the Saffron Road Simmer Sauce at one of my local grocery stores. Their products are certified GMO-free and use all natural ingredients. The simmer sauces come in a bunch of interesting and delicious international flavors. I’ve experimented with a few of them and have come up with a bunch of recipes. For instance, here’s my 15-Minute Moroccan Chicken Soup with Harissa and Chickpeas and here’s my Chicken Korma Pot Pie.
The sauce packets are so versatile that I always like to have some on hand for a quick weeknight meal or even for entertaining. The salmon skewers would be great for guests anytime.Print
This quick recipe is great for busy weeknights. But it’s also tasty enough, and interesting enough, to serve to friends on the weekend.
Note that you need to use thick sturdy metal skewers for this recipe. Those are the only kind that I’ve found are easy to get through the corn on the cob. If you don’t have that kind of skewers, you might want to do the corn separately on the grill, not on the skewers.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 (7 oz.) package of Saffron Road Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce, divided
- 2 Tbsp. neutral oil (like grape seed or vegetable oil)
- 1 lb. salmon fillet
- 2 cobs of corn, shucked
- 2 medium zucchini
- 8 sturdy metal skewers
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
- Oil the grill and then preheat it for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
- Measure the yogurt into a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the simmer sauce. Stir and put it in the fridge. Put the rest of the simmer sauce in a bowl. Add the oil and stir until it is incorporated. Set aside.
- Cut the salmon into 16 equal-sized cubes. Cut the cobs of corn into 4 pieces each. Cut the zucchini into 4 pieces each.
- Thread a piece of corn onto a skewer (it’s easiest to get it on if it goes first so you can bang it into place if necessary). Then add a cube of salmon, a piece of zucchini, and a second piece of salmon. Repeat with remaining skewers. Brush the salmon and vegetables with the oil and simmer sauce mixture. Be sure to use all of the sauce. Sprinkle lightly on all sides with salt.
- Transfer the skewers to the grill. Cook until there are dark grill marks on the salmon and vegetables, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the skewers over. Grill on the second side until the salmon is cooked through, another 3-4 minutes.
- While the salmon cooks, get out the yogurt and simmer sauce mixture and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the cilantro, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Stir.
- Serve the skewers with the yogurt sauce for dipping.