Quick Cabbage Soup Recipe
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting COOKtheSTORY!
A delicious, healthy and easy cabbage soup recipe that’s ready in under 15 minutes.
Cabbage Soup is a bit of an acquired taste. I didn’t like it as a kid but I love it now. Especially versions that have sauerkraut in them. That salty briny cabbage is one of my favorite things.
This soup also has caraway seeds, which I love. In fact, I love caraway seeds so much that I’ve been known to sprinkle them onto slices of buttered rye bread to make that flavor stronger. And I’ve also sprinkled them on cheese to approximate the caraway-studded Havarti my parents used to buy when I was a kid. I can’t find it at our stores so this DIY version is the only way to do it.
Caraway seeds taste especially good with cabbage which is why I decided to add them here. I’ll take any excuse!
Today’s Cabbage Soup is part of my SOUPin15 series, meaning that it’s a homemade soup that’s ready in under 15 minutes. The SouperTip that makes it ready so quickly is to use a bagged coleslaw mix containing shredded cabbage and carrots. You won’t use a dressing here though. You’re just taking advantage of the thinly sliced cabbage and carrot mixture.
Using the coleslaw mixture is great for two reasons. First, you don’t have to do anything to prep the cabbage and carrots other than open the bag. Second, it’s all very thinly sliced so it cooks really quickly.
This soup is cabbage based and so it uses a lot of the coleslaw mix (a whole bag). But you can add a smaller amount to any soup to boost its healthy vegetable component. It’s great in tomato-based soups. For instance, it would be really wonderful added to this Bean and Bacon Soup:
Or added to this Hearty Tomato Potato Soup:
I really do love that bagged cabbage mix. So convenient in so many things. And it means I can make cabbage soup whenever I want!
And now, here’s my recipe for Quick and Easy Cabbage Soup. See you in 15!
Quick Cabbage Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 16 oz. shredded coleslaw mix (with green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots)
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups canned or jarred sauerkraut (measured before draining)
- Put the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Measure the chicken broth into a large microwave-safe bowl and put it in the microwave for 6 minutes. To the olive oil add the shredded coleslaw mix. Stir and cover.
- Chop the onion. Add it to the cabbage. Stir and cover.
- Mince the garlic clove. Add it to the pot along with the caraway seeds, pepper and salt.
- Stir and cover, continuing to let it cook until the broth has finished heating in the microwave.
- Add the hot broth the to cabbage mixture. Increase heat to high. Stir and cover until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Use a colander to drain the sauerkraut. Add it to the soup. Continue to simmer the soup until the cabbage is tender, about 5 more minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
14 Responses to “Quick Cabbage Soup Recipe”
- 101 Quick Soups Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
- All About Cabbage - Know Your Produce
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Homemade (Oily) Cabbage Soup Is On For This Week | lovelyseasonscomeandgo
- 31 Clean Eating Soup Recipes - Radiantly You