A delicious, healthy and easy cabbage soup recipe that’s ready in under 15 minutes.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 16 oz. shredded coleslaw mix (with green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots)
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups canned or jarred sauerkraut (measured before draining)
- Put the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Measure the chicken broth into a large microwave-safe bowl and put it in the microwave for 6 minutes. To the olive oil add the shredded coleslaw mix. Stir and cover.
- Chop the onion. Add it to the cabbage. Stir and cover.
- Mince the garlic clove. Add it to the pot along with the caraway seeds, pepper and salt.
- Stir and cover, continuing to let it cook until the broth has finished heating in the microwave.
- Add the hot broth the to cabbage mixture. Increase heat to high. Stir and cover until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Use a colander to drain the sauerkraut. Add it to the soup. Continue to simmer the soup until the cabbage is tender, about 5 more minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.