How To Make Parmesan Chicken
The secret to this dish is pounding the chicken breasts to an even thickness so that they cook evenly. If you haven’t ever done this, my recipe for juicy grilled chicken has step-by-step instructions. It really is pretty easy.
The beauty of this dish is that the chicken is baked rather than fried. This makes it a perfect choice for a fairly quick weeknight meal that looks pretty impressive, tastes amazing, and saves a few calories. And who doesn’t want to save a couple of calories? It might even mean that you can have that brownie for dessert.
After the breasts have been pounded to an even thickness, they’re breaded with a seasoned flour mixture, egg, and a breadcrumb-parmesan mixture. Each breast is sprayed with a little olive oil, put into the oven and baked for about 20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165˚F.
What To Serve With Parmesan Chicken
Buttered noodles and a nice green salad make perfect sides for the crispy, juicy Parmesan-crusted chicken.
And just in case you’re thinking about those brownies, here’s a recipe that replaces the butter with an interesting ingredient. You might even say, they are a little more healthy. Maybe ;)Print
Pounded to an even thickness, these chicken breasts are crusted with Parmesan-seasoned breadcrumbs and baked to crispy, crunchy perfection.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup freshly ground Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lightly spray a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Line up three shallow bowls, cake or pie pans are perfect. In the first, place the flour, salt, pepper, garlic pepper, and paprika, stir to combine; in the second the eggs; and the third, the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and parsley.
- Start by coating both sides of a chicken breast in the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the eggs and finish in the breadcrumbs, pressing lightly. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Lightly spray the top of each chicken breast with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers 165˚F.
- Serve with buttered noodles and green salad with a simple vinaigrette.