Using The Air Fryer
As soon as I used it, I saw what all of the fuss was about. The air fryer has the ability to cook things evenly, quickly, and provide an exterior crisp. It’s less like fried food, and more like cooking something really well in the oven without it getting soggy.
Another thing I love about the air fryer is that it doesn’t heat up your kitchen as the oven does. So, if you want to make some extra delicious chicken breasts, and you’re not in the mood to grill them, this is the way to go.
How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
So, I thought the air fryer would be perfect to make breaded chicken breasts. I love to make chicken cutlets, but I wanted to do so more easily. And without all of the oil. I now make both the full (uncut) breaded chicken breasts in the air fryer according to the recipe below, and also, I have started doing my chicken cutlets in the air fryer as well. They’re so crispy and delicious!
To make these air fryer breaded chicken breasts, you start with a classic dredge in flour and then you dip the chicken in a whisked egg to make sure the breading sticks. For the breading, I like to use Panko breadcrumbs. I think they provide the most texture.
Note that if you don’t want to do the flour and egg step, you can skip it and use this homemade shake and bake recipe and method instead. It makes a thinner coating but is just as crispy and definitely saves time.
If you have a wire rack for your air fryer, use it. It helps the chicken stay crispy on the bottom. It isn’t imperative, but it really takes things to the next level. In just about a half an hour, you’re on your way to having crispy and juicy chicken for dinner.Print
Learn how to make the crispiest chicken breasts ever in the air fryer. It’s so easy to do with Panko breadcrumbs, and you don’t need any oil.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Remove the chicken breasts from the packaging and pound them into an even thickness. If your air fryer has a metal rack, set it in the tray. Cooking the chicken on the rack promotes crispy chicken.
- Whisk together flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Pour it out onto a plate.
- Add the egg to a bowl.
- Whisk the Panko breadcrumbs together with the remaining salt and pepper. Pour that out onto an additional plate.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the flour mixture, then the egg, and then the Panko mixture until all of the pieces are coated.
- Lay the chicken on the rack in your air fryer if you’re using one.
- Slide the tray into the air fryer, and turn the dial to 350°F. Set the timer for 22 minutes.
- The chicken should have an internal temperature of 165°F before serving and it will be golden brown and delicious.
- If you do not have a metal rack for your air fryer, simply place the chicken on the bottom of the tray. However, it will be crispier if you use one.
This post originally appeared in May 2019 and was revised and republished in July 2021.