This soup is a bit like Tortilla Soup but with a big blast of lime. But it also has the warm flavors of cinnamon and cumin. A must try if you love Mexican food. To make this soup in under 15 minutes, first gather together all of the ingredients, tools, pots and pans that you’ll need. This is so that everything is at your fingertips. No need to prep any ingredients though. All of the prep is included in the instructions and counts towards the 15 minutes. Yield 8 cups.
- 6 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or grape seed oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 habanero pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- a pinch of ground cloves
- 3/4 lb. tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3)
- 2–3 limes
- a big handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- tortilla chips
- Pour the chicken broth into a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on high power for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil. Peel and chop the onion and add it to the pot and stir. Seed and then mince the habanero. Add it to the pot and stir. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the pot along with the oregano, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Stir. Cook for 30 seconds and then add the hot broth. Cover and increase heat to high. When soup reaches a boil, reduce it to a simmer.
- While the soup is heating, finely chop the tomatoes and thinly slice the chicken (about 1/4 inch slices). Add the tomatoes and chicken to the soup. Cover and cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- While the chicken cooks, juice the 1-2 limes to get 1/4 cup of juice. Cut the remaining lime(s) into wedges. Roughly chop the cilantro. Pit, peel and chop the avocado.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the lime juice. Ladle soup into bowls and serve garnished with the lime wedges, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips.