This easy soup tastes just like the one from Chili’s. To make it in under 15 minutes, first read through the recipe. As you read gather together all of the tools, pots and pans and ingredients that you’ll need. But don’t worry about doing any prep. All of the prep is within the instructions section and is included in the 15 minute time of the recipe. Yield 8 cups.
- 4 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 green onions
- 1 (14. oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies (optional)
- 1/2 cup masa harina (corn flour)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 tortilla chips
- Measure the broth into a microwave-safe bowl and put it in the microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Pour the oil into a large pot or Dutch oven and put it over medium heat. Chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir.
- Chop the chicken breasts into 1/2 inch cubest. Increase the heat under the pot to medium-high and add the chicken along with the cumin and salt. Stir and cover. Cook until white on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. While the chicken cooks, chop the green onions and open the cans of crushed tomatoes, enchilada sauce and green chilies (if using). Drain the green chilies.
- Once the chicken has whitened all over, add the masa and stir. Slowly stir in the hot broth. Increase heat to high and stir well. Add the crushed tomatoes, enchilada sauce and green chilies. Stir. When it comes to a simmer, remove it from the heat and add 1 and 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir. Ladle into bowls. Top with the remaining cheese, tortilla chips and green onions.