To make delicious Italian eggs, what you do is to cook up a quick and flavorful tomato sauce and then gently poach the eggs in it. Serve it sprinkled with Parmesan cheese with some crusty bread on the side for a perfect brunch!
- 1 (28 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley (or basil)
- Pour the can of tomatoes with their juice into a large skillet.
- Stir in the salt, oregano, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Taste. Add more seasoning, if desired.
- Use the back of a spoon to nudge some tomatoes apart. Carefully crack an egg into the liquid where the tomatoes used to be. Make space for another egg and then crack it in. Repeat with the remaining eggs. The eggs should not be submerged but should be nestled among the tomatoes.
- Increase the heat to medium-low and cover the skillet. Cook until the whites have solidified but the yolks are still runny, 7-10 minutes. Note that with my stove and my skillet I have to turn the pan periodically so that the eggs heat evenly and cook in the same amount of time. You may need to do the same.
- When the eggs are cooked to the desired doneness, drizzle each egg with some olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley.