Your classic grilled hot dog just got better with 2 tasty toppings: Peach and Vidalia Onion Salsa and a Sweet Chili Mustard. Oh, and these hot dogs are sliders (so plan to eat more than one!).
Nothings says summer to me like grilled hot dogs. Except maybe a grilled hot dog topped with peach and Vidalia onion salsa.
These hot dogs are seriously good. I do them as sliders for no other reason than that they’re cute. Oh, and because it lets me justify eating more than one.
Making The Toppings
The first addition to these hot dog sliders is the Peach and Vidalia Salsa. It combines peaches, Vidalia onions, red chili pepper, lime, and cilantro. The second is a special condiment – mustard mixed with honey and chili powder. It’s seriously good.
Check out this list of hot dog toppings from Bon Appetit readers for more topping inspiration for future hot dog adventures. Maybe next time, try our Red Cabbage Sauerkraut for a nice change.
Assembling Your Hot Dog Sliders
When the wieners are nearly done on the grill, split open some dinner rolls and spread on your honey mustard. Then top with wieners and the sunny salsa.
You can do these as a platter finger-food-style appetizers to pass around or have them as dinner with a simple salad.
Easy-breezy, bright and fresh summery food. Gotta love it!
Oh, and if you want another delicious Vidalia onion appetizer to serve, be sure to also check out my baked blooming onion recipe.
Your classic grilled hot dog just got better with 2 tasty hot dog toppings: Peach and Vidalia Onion Salsa and a Sweet Chili Mustard. Oh, and these hot dogs are sliders (so plan to eat more than one!).
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 peaches, pitted and chopped into ¼” cubes
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and then minced
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 3 wieners
- 3 dinner rolls
- 3 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl combine Vidalia onion, peaches, chili pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl combine mustard, honey, and chili powder.
- Use a knife to split each wiener open lengthwise but do not cut all the way through. Cut each wiener in half widthwise to create 6 mini wieners.
- Grill wieners over direct heat, flipping occasionally, until browned and starting to blacken at the edges, 9-12 minutes.
- While wieners cook, make the mini hot dog buns: Set a dinner roll on a cutting board top-side-up. Cut it in half starting with knife on top of the bun and cutting down all the way through the bun. Lay each half cut-side-up and split through the middle, but do not cut all the way through, thus creating a mini split hot dog bun. Repeat with remaining buns.
- Spread each bun with 2 teaspoons of the mustard mixture. Top with a wiener, split side up. Fill the split in the wiener with the Vidalia Peach Salsa.