Homemade Mushroom Gravy is simple to prepare and is the perfect thing to pour over roasts, steaks, and potatoes. It takes less than 30 minutes!
There’s something really special about good, homemade mushroom gravy. The richness and earthiness it can provide to a cut of meat is amazing. It’s something I like to whip up to serve with roast beef or even over pot roast.
Why Make Mushroom Gravy?
It takes less than 30 minutes to stir together, and I buy pre-sliced mushrooms, so there’s almost no prep work involved. This means my kitchen stays much cleaner, too.
Mushroom gravy has more flavor and texture than regular gravy, which is another reason I love it. You don’t have to wait for pan drippings and separate out the fat, just stir it together in a saucepan.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
Homemade mushroom gravy ingredients are simple. All you need is some butter, onion, sliced mushrooms, flour, salt, pepper, beef stock (I prefer stock over broth for gravies), heavy cream, and a little bit of Worchestershire sauce.
I’m betting you have most of these ingredients on hand, another reason to whip up a batch next time company comes over.
How To Make Mushroom Gravy
Like I said, mushroom gravy is simple. You start by sauteeing the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Then you make a roux by adding and cooking the flour into the fat, which helps to thicken the gravy. The beef stock gets added to the pan to deglaze, make sure you scrape up the bits of flavor off the bottom of the pan.
Then, the heavy cream, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire all get added for richness and flavor. The result is a silky smooth gravy with lots of added flavor and texture from the onions and mushrooms. You simply must try it!
More Homemade Gravy Recipes
Did you know I have a whole category of gravies and sauces for you to make at home? Find the perfect recipe for any meal and check of some of my favorite gravies below.
- Gravy without Drippings
- Cornstarch Gravy Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Gravy
- Sausage Gravy Recipe
- Homemade Onion Gravy
- White Country Gravy
Homemade Mushroom Gravy is simple to prepare and is the perfect thing to pour over roasts, steaks, and potatoes. It takes less and 30 minutes!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pt. sliced white mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4–5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Add the butter to a large saucepan over medium heat and let it melt.
- Once melted, add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, or until translucnet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the flour and let it cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Drizzle in the beef broth while stirring constantly.
- Add the heavy cream, Worchestershire, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thick and bubbly.