Chicken Cordon Bleu from Frozen
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting COOKtheSTORY!
Learn how to make Chicken Cordon Bleu from frozen chicken breasts. It’s a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner idea.
We’ve talked about cooking chicken breasts from frozen a few times now. That would be because I’m pretty obsessed with it. The convenience of having chicken breasts in my freezer and knowing that I can immediately get dinner started by putting them straight into the oven has been revolutionary in my house.
Since first figuring it out, I’ve come up with some different tasty recipes that start with frozen chicken breasts. Today’s recipe is one of those. This is for a simple version of Chicken Cordon Blue. You don’t stuff the chicken breasts or anything like that (how could you since the chicken breasts are frozen!?! lol). Instead, you bread the frozen chicken in a quick and easy way and then bake it.
I like to use a really heavy-duty baking sheet because of the high temperature involved. This is a great one.
At the end of the baking time, top the breasts with a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese. Return it to the oven to bake just until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Done!
As to baking the frozen chicken breasts, if you’re new to this it’s really easy. Follow the instructions in the recipe below. For more info, head to my Frozen Chicken Breasts Guide.
Onto the easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. You’re going to love how easy this is, and how delicious. Yay!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Using Frozen Chicken Breasts
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts that have been frozen individually
- 4 tsp. mustard (yellow or dijon)
- 4 slices black forest ham
- 4 deli-style slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 tsp. chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs, oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme.
- Put the chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet. Spread or brush 1 teaspoon of mustard onto each breast. Sprinkled with the breadcrumbs, pushing down to help them adhere to the mustard.
- Bake until chicken is 165ºF according to an instant read thermometer, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven. Top each breast with a slice of the ham, folded in half, and then a slice of the cheese, also folded in half. Return to the oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plates and top with chives if desired.
Do you love chicken? Get my free chicken ebook with 42 deliciously simple chicken recipes. Learn more here.