These Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers are the best stuffed peppers I’ve ever had. So much flavor and so quick to make. Make them for dinner tonight!
This Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Pepper Recipe is super-quick and super-easy to make. You mixed together chopped up, uncooked chicken breast, shredded cheese, shredded carrots and thinly sliced celery with Buffalo sauce and ranch dressing (do you SEE all those Buffalo chicken flavors in there?). Then you loosely stuff the mixture into peppers and bake until cooked through, 30 minutes. Really easy. Really tasty.
Video For Making Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Can Raw Chicken Go In Stuffed Peppers?
You might be wondering about the raw chicken in this recipe. I hear you. Normally any meat going into a stuffed pepper has to be cooked first. So why can you put raw chicken in these?
There are two reasons. First, you chop the chicken into small pieces so that it’s quicker for it to cook through.
Second, by doing the peppers in halves (look at the picture or watch the video above) there isn’t as much filling. That means that the center of the pepper can get hot enough quickly enough for the chicken to cook. Note that even though the chicken is small and is very likely to be cooked through in the given cooking time, it is best to be safe and check that the internal temperature of the peppers (right in the middle of the chicken filling) is at least 165F. Use an instant-read thermometer to check that.
Halved Or Whole Peppers?
This method, using halved peppers, works really well. If you want to do whole peppers, I’d say cook the chicken first. Here’s a primer on how to make stuffed peppers that includes advice on cutting the peppers, what to include in fillings, when to use raw and when to use fully-cooked ingredients, and how long to cook them, in case you want to tweak this at all.
And, on the off chance that you’re not in the mood for Buffalo flavors, here’s my more basic Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Peppers recipe.Print
These peppers have raw chicken inside. Make sure that you test the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer before serving. They need to be at 165°F.
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 3 tsp. all-purpose white flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 medium ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 Tbsp. Buffalo wing sauce
- 2 Tbsp. ranch dressing
- 4 bell peppers, each cut in half from stem to base, seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl toss the chicken with the flour and salt.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the Buffalo sauce, and the ranch dressing.
- Place the pepper halves on a large rimmed baking sheet. Divide the chicken mixture among the peppers.
- Top each pepper with 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and peppers have achieved desired softness, 30-40 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 bell pepper halves
This post originally appeared in February 2014 and was revised and republished in October 2021.