Who loves breakfast for dinner? Let’s load up some skewers with chicken sausage, waffles and grapes (and a delicious maple-butter glaze) for a fun, easy dinner. This post is sponsored by al fresco.
There’s something so delightful (and almost sinful) about having breakfast foods at dinner time. It feels like a special indulgence.
So, I decided to come up with a Breakfast for Dinner idea. Skewers were a natural fit. Yes, a kabob filled with breakfast foods was the idea. But which foods to use?
Ingredients For Breakfast Skewers
I liked the idea of waffles because I can buy good quality and healthy frozen ones at my regular grocery store. I popped them into the toaster and then cut them into quarters, ready to thread onto skewers.
What about a protein? I decided to go with sausage because it’s so breakfasty. My concern though was that the sausage might not cook through in the short time that it would take everything to brown. You might recall that I’ve had similar concerns when grilling chicken. I’m always worried that it will still be raw inside, to the point where I now pre-cook my chicken and then just finish it on the grill. So, I went with a fully-cooked sausage. A fully-cooked chicken sausage.
I wanted some fruit on these breakfast skewers as well. Since it was going on skewers, I wanted something pretty sturdy that wouldn’t heat up and then slide off of the sticks. Grapes to the rescue!
Making The Glaze
The final touch was a glaze. I mixed together melted butter, maple syrup, and a touch of Dijon mustard and brushed it onto all sides of the kabobs. Then they went onto the grill just until heated through – everything is fully-cooked already, remember? So there’s no need to check for doneness or anything. When it’s hot, it’s ready. You can also do this easily in the oven under the broiler. Just as simple.
That’s it. Delicious Breakfast-for-Dinner Skewers that everyone will love, especially the person doing the cooking since they’re so darned easy. It’s a win win win win win!
Have a tasty day,
Who loves breakfast for dinner? Let’s load up some skewers with chicken sausage, waffles and grapes (and a delicious maple-butter glaze) for a fun, easy dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 frozen waffles
- 12 oz. (4 links) sweet apple chicken sausage, sliced 1/2-in. thick
- 16 green grapes
- 6-in. skewers
- Preheat grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat or turn an oven broiler on to low.
- In a small bowl combine butter, syrup, and mustard.
- Toast waffles according to package directions. Cut each into quarters.
- Alternate waffles, sausage, and grapes onto skewers. Each skewer should get 2 pieces of waffle, 2 grapes, and 3 slices of sausage.
- Brush kabobs with maple mixture.
- Grill the kabobs until browned in spots underneath, 3-4 minutes. Turn and grill on second side until browned in spots, 3-4 minutes. If using the broiler, broil until browned in spots underneath, 3-4 minutes. Turn and grill on second side until browned in spots, 3-4 minutes.
This post originally appeared in June 2017. It was revised and republished in June 2021.