15-Minute Mulligatawny Soup
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting COOKtheSTORY!
England is known for its delicious Indian cuisine. Experience the best of both with a traditional Mulligatawny Soup, which combines warm Indian flavors with English cooking. And it’s ready in 15 minutes.
Mulligatawny is an English soup influenced by all the delicious Indian flavors that are all over the UK.
The wonderful thing about Mulligatawny Soup is that it’s easy to make and yet has so much delicious flavor. The flavor comes from curry powder and tart green apples. That beautiful warm spice with that sour-sweetness of the apples gets me every time.
This soup is ready in 15 minutes, even though it contains rice, which usually takes longer than 15 minutes to cook. To make that happen, I’ve used store-bought cooked rice. You can use leftover rice too. Or you can cook some rice from scratch. Start it 5 minutes before you start the soup and everything will be done at almost the same time.
The SouperTip that makes a soup delicious so quickly is that it has a balance of flavors. It has the sourness and sweetness from the apples and a bit of sugar. And it has the savory onion and cumin flavors. When you’re making soup, thinking about the different types of flavor — salty, sour, bitter, sweet — will help you have intense delicious flavor.
Enjoy the soup!
Mulligatawny Soup in 15 Minutes
Sweet, tart, mildly spiced. You're going to love this quick, easy and unique soup.
- 4 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 chicken breast (about ¾ lb.)
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 1 (8.8 oz. package) cooked rice (about 2 cups cooked rice)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it on high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat to melt. While it melts, peel and chop an onion. Add it to the butter, increase heat to medium and stir. Peel and chop the other onion, add it to the pot and stir. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the onions along with the flour, curry powder and salt.
- When the broth is done heating, add half to the onion mixture. Stir. Add Then stir in the rest of the broth. Increase the heat to high, cover the pot and bring the soup up to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the broth is reaching a boil, chop the chicken into ½ inch cubes. Once the soup is simmering, add the chicken to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the apple, the rice and the sugar. Cook for 1 minute. Check that the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Remove from heat and add the half and half. Serve the soup garnished with cilantro leaves.