Sweet, tart, mildly spiced. You’re going to love this quick, easy, and unique soup.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this soup, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="mulligatawnysouprotd"][/sc]
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 chicken breast (about ¾ lb.)
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 1 (8.8 oz. package) cooked rice (about 2 cups cooked rice)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Measure the stock into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it on high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat to melt. While it melts, peel and chop an onion. Add it to the butter, increase heat to medium and stir. Peel and chop the other onion, add it to the pot and stir. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the onions along with the flour, curry powder and salt.
- When the stock is done heating, add half to the onion mixture. Stir. Add Then stir in the rest of the stock. Increase the heat to high, cover the pot and bring the soup up to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the stock is reaching a boil, chop the chicken into ½ inch cubes. Once the soup is simmering, add the chicken to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the apple, the rice and the sugar. Cook for 1 minute. Check that the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove from heat and add the half and half. Serve the soup garnished with cilantro leaves.