Pepper Jack Soup Recipe
Soup-making is something that I just know how to do. Why? I grew up surrounded by soup-simmering and soup-eating. This quick and easy pepper jack soup recipe is one that I know you’ll love. It comes together in under 30 minutes. What could be better?
Tomato Beef Barley and Chicken Noodle soup warmed my childhood. Vegetarian Borscht Dappled with Heavy Cream appeared in the spring and returned to freshen Ukrainian Christmas Eve (a meatier version was ladled daily at the Perogy Patch). Mushroom with Wild Rice, Bean and Bacon, Hearty Potato Tomato, Pepper Jack and many other creations starred in Soup and Sandwich specials at the Falcon Deli.
And now, on my blog, Pepper Jack will also exemplify the simple brilliance of my mom’s recipes. Yay good soup! Yay awesome Mom!
Oh, and if you love quick and easy cheesy soup recipes like this one (and really, who doesn’t?!), be sure to also check out my recipe for mozzarella fondue soup.
Now let’s cook up my mom’s pepper jack soup recipe!
Pepper Jack Soup
This hot cheesy soup has pureed veggies and a great zing. It's a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
- 4 tbsp butter (or margarine), divided: 2 tbsp to sauté the veggies and another 2 tbsp to make a [url:1]roux[/url]
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (about 1/2 of a large one)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth to keep it vegetarian. No way to make it vegan, I'm afraid.)
- 1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk (or 1-12 oz. can evaporated milk and 3/4 cup fat-free milk), divided
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups coarsely grated cheese)
- In a medium frying pan melt 2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until they're softened.
- Add the chicken broth and the drained diced tomatoes. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat melt the other 2 tbsp butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and black pepper until smooth. Cook for a minute while whisking. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of whole milk (or 1 cup evaporated milk). Cook while stirring (with whisk or wooden spoon) until it comes to a boil. While continuing to stir so that you don't scorch the bottom of the pot, allow it to boil for one minute.
- Stir the simmered broth and veggies into the thickened milk. Add the pepper jack and the remaining milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the cheese is melted. Do not let it boil. Taste and add a bit more salt and pepper if required. Serve garnished with a sprig of parsley on top for color or with a big chunk of bread on the side for dipping.
25 Responses to “Pepper Jack Soup Recipe”
- Fancy Fresh Fruit for a Manitoba Potluck BBQ : Cook the Story
- Corn and Chipotle Soup Might Help. Will You Make Me Some? : Cook the Story
- Wake up to a Mediterranean Sandwich (Recipe from the Falcon Lake Deli) « Cook the Story
- Foodies in the Family « Cook the Story
- Melty Brie with Garlic, Red Pepper and a Year in the Life of Pittman’s on 44 « Cook the Story
- The Pittmans’ Restaurants « Cook the Story