Quick and easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe. It’s as tasty as Panera’s but you don’t have to leave your house!
Here’s A Video Showing How To Make This Quick Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
A Broccoli Cheddar Soup Like Panera’s
A new Panera restaurant has been built not far from my house. I sometimes go there to take advantage of the coffee and free Wi-Fi when I want to work without household distractions. I’m also there for the famous Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup. It’s so good that I’ve even heard broccoli-haters rave about its deliciousness.
Time Saving Tips
I made sure to include carrots in this creamy broccoli soup, just like Panera does. I used carrot matchsticks because they’re sold already peeled and cut into small quick-cooking pieces. Another way that I saved time with this soup is to not make bread bowls. I figured that none of us has time to be carving bread. Instead, the recipe includes quick garlic croutons to sprinkle over top of the soup before serving.
Between the protein in the cheddar cheese and milk, the carbs in the croutons, and the big veggie portion, a bowl of this soup is a full meal on its own. And it’s vegetarian so it’s perfect for Meatless Mondays, if you do those (we do it about half the time).
I have tons of other soups that are just as quick as this one. You can see them all here. And here’s a tasty example. Creamy Cauliflower Mac ‘n’ Cheese Soup!Print
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Prep Time: 0 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
To make this soup in under 15 minutes, first read through the recipe so that you know what to expect. As you read, gather together all of the ingredients, pots, pans and other tools that you will need so that everything is at your fingertips. No prepping is required though – all chopping, etc. is part of the instructions and counted in the 15 minute time.
Yield: 7 and 1/2 cups.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this Broccoli Cheese Soup, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1 (14 oz.) bag frozen broccoli
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 slices bread
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk or 1 and ½ cups whole milk
- 12 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the chicken stock and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover. Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks and add them to the pot. Stir and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, put the frozen broccoli in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on high until hot, 5-7 minutes. Add it to the simmering stock.
- While the broccoli is in the microwave, put a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Chop the bread into 1-inch squares. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the garlic powder. Push down on the bread a bit so that the seasoning stick on. Put the bread into the pan of butter and stir and toss. Increase heat to medium-high and cook stirring occasionally until toasted and crunchy. Turn to low and stir occasionally until soup is ready.
- While the croutons are toasting, the broccoli is heating and the stock is simmering, measure the flour into a large mason jar. Add the milk and put on the lid. Shake it around and tip it around until the flour is mixed well into the milk. Shred the cheese.
- After you’ve added the broccoli to the soup, remove it from the heat and add the flour mixture all at once. Stir. Return it to medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Remove it from the heat and stir in 2 and 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Serve topped with the remaining shredded cheese and the garlic croutons.
This post originally appeared in October 2014 and was revised and republished in November 2020. This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Leave a Reply