To make this soup in under 15 minutes, first read through the recipe so that you know what to expect. As you read, gather together all of the ingredients, pots, pans and other tools that you will need so that everything is at your fingertips. No prepping is required though – all chopping, etc. is part of the instructions and counted in the 15 minute time. Yield 7 and 1/2 cups.
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1 (14 oz.) bag frozen broccoli
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk or 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the chicken broth and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover. Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks and add them to the pot. Stir and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, put the frozen broccoli in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on high until hot, 5-7 minutes. Add it to the simmering broth.
- While the broccoli is in the microwave, put a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Chop the bread into 1-inch squares. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the garlic powder. Push down on the bread a bit so that the seasoning stick on. Put the bread into the pan of butter and stir and toss. Increase heat to medium-high and cook stirring occasionally until toasted and crunchy. Turn to low and stir occasionally until soup is ready.
- While the croutons are toasting, the broccoli is heating and the broth is simmering, measure the flour into a large mason jar. Add the milk and put on the lid. Shake it around and tip it around until the flour is mixed well into the milk. Shred the cheese.
- After you’ve added the broccoli to the soup, remove it from the heat and add the flour mixture all at once. Stir. Return it to medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Remove it from the heat and stir in 2 and 1/2 cups of the cheese. Serve topped with the remaining shredded cheese and the garlic croutons.