Get my recipe for this delicious pepper jack soup. It’s rich and creamy but also has the lighter flavors of red bell pepper and tomato to brighten it up.
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (about 6 oz.)
- In a medium frying pan melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and drained diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and black pepper until smooth. Cook for a minute while whisking. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of whole milk. Cook while stirring until it comes to a boil. While continuing to stir so that you don’t scorch the bottom of the pot, allow it to boil for one minute.
- Stir the simmered broth and veggies into the thickened milk. Add the pepper jack and the remaining milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the cheese is melted. Do not let it boil.
- Taste and add a bit more salt and pepper if desired.