Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting COOKtheSTORY!
It’s zucchini season. I’m jumping in with a zucchini gratin that’s loaded with garlic and some nice cheesy breadcrumbs. Care to jump in with me?
One of my absolute favorite ways to eat vegetables is in a gratin. A bit of cheese and breadcrumbs on top, maybe a creamy sauce underneath and then the fresh flavor of vegetable to cut the richness. I do it at all times of year with different vegetables. In late fall, I love Brussels sprouts gratin. Now, at the very end of summer when there are zucchinis in abundance everywhere, I do it with zucchini.
You can do it with zucchini alone or you can add in some other vegetables. For today’s recipe I’ve added summer squash, grape tomatoes and lots of garlic. Sooo good.
You actually won’t believe how easy this gratin is to make. You toss the vegetables with flour, salt and pepper. Then drizzle them with a touch of heavy cream and top it all with panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake until the veggies are soft, the crumbs are brown and the sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Deelish!
- 2 medium summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (that's a 1 pint container)
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, toss summer squash, zucchini, grape tomatoes, and garlic. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir. Transfer to a pie plate and drizzle with whipping cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix panko, parmesan and olive oil together. Sprinkle the crumbs over the veggies.
- Bake until the topping is brown, the veggies are tender and the sauce is bubbling, 20-25 minutes
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link meaning that if you click it and buy something I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are my own.
This post originally appeared in June, 2014 and was revised and republished in September, 2017.
33 Responses to “Zucchini Gratin”
- 5 Healthy Summer Squash Recipes You'll Crave Immediately
- 25+ Best Zucchini Recipes - Give Recipe
- Quickest Side Dishes
- Rice with Pimientos and Peas
- Italian Roasted Cauliflower
- Most Popular Recipes of 2014 of COOKtheSTORY
- 7 days of Dukan Diet recipes for Phase 2: Garden veggie edition - LivingWithBeth.com
- Summer Vegetable and Sausage Pasta Dinner
- 15 Incredible Casserole Recipes – GleamItUp