All the beloved flavors of the popular dip now in a soup. The best part is that it has less fat than the dip so you can indulge in it more often. To make this soup in 15 minutes, first read through the recipe. As you read, gather together all of the tools, pots and ingredients that you’ll need. But don’t prep any ingredients. All of the preparations are explained in the instructions section and are included in the 15 minute time of this recipe. See you in 15! (Yield 9 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups non-fat milk
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 (14 oz.) cans quartered artichoke hearts
- 8 oz. cream cheese (reduced-fat cream cheese works here)
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the oil. Stir occasionally as you unwrap the spinach and put it in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Break it up with a wooden spoon and microwave for 1 minute more.
- While the spinach defrosts, mince the garlic. Add the minced garlic, salt and red pepper flakes to the onions. Stir. Add the flour and stir. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth and stir it into a paste. And another 1/4 cup of chicken broth. Stir. Then stir in 1/2 cup at a time until the full 2 cups of have been added. Add the milk and stir to combine. Cover the put and increase heat to medium-high. Stir often until it reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in the toaster. When it’s done, drizzle one side of each slice with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle each with a pinch of garlic powder. Cut into cubes.
- Drain the artichoke hearts and chop them roughly. Once the soup is simmering, add the artichoke hearts and the spinach to the soup. Stir. Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add it to the soup. Stir until it melts. Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with some of the pumpernickle garlic croutons.