Pesto Chicken Breast topped with homemade or pre-packaged pesto, mozzarella and tomatoes is a weeknight show stopping dish.
Stunning, delicious, and only 4 ingredients: chicken, pesto, mozzarella, and tomatoes. Pesto Chicken Breasts come together in 10 minutes, bake in about 20 minutes, and are pretty enough be served on the sheet pan they’re baked on. What’s not to love about this recipe?
What Kind Of Pesto Should I Use?
Disclaimer, the 10-minute prep time is based on using pre-made pesto. And by pre-made, I mean either commercial or home-made that has been made ahead of time or has been previously frozen. What, you didn’t know that you could freeze pesto? Well, check here for a great recipe and tips for freezing home-made pesto.
Making Pesto Chicken
One of the things I do frequently when cooking chicken breasts is to pound them to achieve an even thickness. For this recipe, I like to keep them between 3/4 – 1-inch thick based on the thickest part of the chicken breast. This helps to make sure that the breasts cook evenly. There’s something therapeutic about this part of the process ;)
Lining a rimmed baking sheet with parchment, foil or a silicone mat makes cleanup quick and easy. Arranging the chicken on the prepared pan and assembling the dish there, means there aren’t extra dishes to cleanup.
If the chicken finishes before the cheese melts and gets those nice little browned bits, turn on the broiler until the cheese achieves the desired doneness, maybe 2 minutes longer. NOTE: it’s not recommended to broil when using silicone mats. You may want to use parchment paper or foil if you like the cheese to have those crunchy bits.Print
Pesto Chicken Breast topped with homemade or pre-packaged pesto, mozzarella, and tomatoes is a weeknight show stopping dish.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 4 Tbsp. homemade pesto or your favorite pre-packaged pesto
- 4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- If the thickness of the chicken breasts is very uneven, pound them a bit to even things out (see this post for how to do that), keeping the chicken 3/4- to 1-inch thick.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Arrange chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Spread each breast with 1 tablespoon of pesto.
- Top each breast with 1 ounce of mozzarella and 2 slices of tomatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer registers 165˚F.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve.