Did you know that you can make roasted peppers in the slow cooker? You can! They turn out with a flavor just like peppers roasted in the oven or over a flame but they’re easier to make, and to peel! This recipe was sponsored by Divemex.
A few weeks ago I wanted to make a slow cooker red pepper soup. I started by putting some halved bell peppers into my slow cooker for a while. What came out was a delightful surprise: Soft-fleshed peppers with a flavor just like roasted peppers.
Easy Roasted Peppers
The best part of making these peppers in the low cooker was that unlike with other methods for roasted peppers that I’ve tried, the skins came off of these really easily.
Yes, I do know about the trick of putting hot roasted peppers into a paper bag to steam them a bit and make the skins come off more easily. I’ve never found that it works super-well.
Regardless, with this roasted bell pepper method, there’s no need for a paper bag. The peppers have essentially been steamed to cook and so the skins come off with a tug. Note: This has turned out to be true for about 90% of the peppers that I’ve roasted in this way. There has been the odd stubborn one. If you get a stubborn one, use a paring knife to help get the peel off.
How to Make Roasted Red Peppers
This method is so simple. First, rub your slow cooker with some olive oil. Then, add your red peppers, halved and seeded.
The peppers will cook on high for 3 hours, stir about halfway through. Next, remove the lid and let the peppers cool off. After cooling, the peel should come off easily with your fingers, but if not, a paring knife can assist.
Once you have the peppers roasted, you can use them to make this recipe for Chilled Roasted Red Pepper Soup.
Did you know that you can make roasted peppers in the slow cooker? You can! They turn out with a flavor just like peppers roasted in the oven or over a flame but they’re easier to make, and to peel!
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 5 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- Rub the inside of the slow cooker with the olive oil.
- Add the pepper halves.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring halfway through.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the lid. Let the peppers cool.
- Grasp the peel of a pepper half at an edge and gently tug to remove it in one piece. Sometimes the peel doesn’t come off easily. Use a paring knife to remove the peels in these rare cases. Repeat with remaining peppers.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.