Instant Pot Paella takes the classic Spanish shrimp and rice dish and makes it accessible to have at home any night of the week.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3.5 oz. Chorizo*, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. loosely packed saffron
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups uncooked white rice, rinsed and drained but still damp
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. peeled and deveined, no tail, medium shrimp, thawed
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the olive oil. Once warm, add the onion and the chorizo. Cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, saffron, salt, rinsed rice, diced tomatoes, and stock or water.
- Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 6 minutes, making sure the knob is turned to Sealing.
- Once the Instant Pot has come to pressure and cooked for the 6 minutes, turn the knob to Venting to allow the steam to release. Once the pressure button drops down, remove the lid.
- Stir in the shrimp and the peas. Put the lid back on. Turn the knob to Sealing but set the Instant Pot to Sauté. Allow to sit like that for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Stir the rice mixture. If the shrimp are all pink throughout, it is ready. If not, put the lid back on and let it sit for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot to stop the cooking. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
*You want dried, fully cooked Spanish chorizo, not the fresh Mexican kind.