Instant Pot Paella takes the classic Spanish shrimp and rice dish and makes it accessible to have at home any night of the week.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this Instant Pot Paella, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="instantpotpaellarotd"][/sc]
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3.5 oz. Chorizo*, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp. loosely packed saffron
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups uncooked white rice, rinsed and drained but still damp
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 1 and ½ lbs. peeled and deveined, no tail, medium shrimp, thawed
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the olive oil. Once warm, add the onion and the chorizo. Cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, saffron, salt, rinsed rice, diced tomatoes, and stock or water.
- Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 6 minutes, making sure the knob is turned to Sealing.
- Once the Instant Pot has come to pressure and cooked for the 6 minutes, turn the knob to Venting to allow the steam to release. Once the pressure button drops down, remove the lid.
- Stir in the shrimp and the peas. Put the lid back on. Turn the knob to Sealing but set the Instant Pot to Sauté. Allow to sit like that for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Stir the rice mixture. If the shrimp are all pink throughout, it is ready. If not, put the lid back on and let it sit for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot to stop the cooking. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
*You want dried, fully cooked Spanish chorizo, not the fresh Mexican kind.