This Orange Pomegranate Butter Board is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday celebration.
I’m obsessed with Butter Boards, and so, with the holiday season approaching, I just had to make one with pretty Christmas colors and flavors. This holiday board has some fresh herbs, orange zest, and pomegranate seeds, with a little drizzle of honey to finish it all off.
What is a Butter Board?
Butter Boards are like the new Charcuterie Board. It’s actually easiest to think of them as a cross between a charcuterie board and the butter service that you get at a fancy restaurant. It’s a board spread with softened butter and then strewn with flavorful ingredients.
How To Serve Butter Boards
I like to serve this as an appetizer put into the middle of the table if I’m having friends over for dinner. Plop the board down, add a basket of baguette slices and crackers, and let everyone dig in.
Note that you have two options for serving. You can put a knife on the board, indicating to people that they should scrape the butter and toppings with the knife onto their bread or bread plate. Or, you can leave off the knife, which will tempt people to slide the bread or cracker itself through the butter.
How to Make a Butter Board
If you follow the instructions below, you’ll end up with a beautiful and flavorful butter board. The basics are to use unsalted, softened butter, 1 stick (1/2 cup) for 4 people, spread about 1/8 inch thick onto a 6-7 inch diameter board or platter. Sprinkle it with flaky sea salt or kosher salt, another spice like black pepper, some citrus zest, and fresh herbs. Add a drizzle of honey or another sweet syrup like agave or maple, and then finish it with a pretty garnish of edible flower petals, or bits of fresh or dried fruit. Serve with crackers and bread slices.
A Thanksgiving Butter Board Idea
The Holiday Butter Board below is ideal for Christmas or for Thanksgiving. The colors make me think it’s more Christmassy though. If you want an idea for Thanksgiving specifically, try using salt, cinnamon, fresh thyme leaves, pumpkin seeds (home-roasted or store-bought pepitas), maple syrup, and dried cranberries would be so insanely good.
More Butter Board RecipesPrint
Serve at room temperature with bread and crackers.
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Onto a 6-7 inch diameter board or platter, use the back of a spoon to spread the butter to 1/8-inch thick.
- Sprinkle butter with the salt and black pepper. Add the zest, trying to avoid large clumps. Distribute the thyme and oregano evenly over top.
- Measure the honey into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 10 seconds to thin its consistency and make it easier to drizzle more finely. Drizzle honey evenly over top of the herbs. Top evenly with pomegranate seeds.