A big pan of baked chicken and veggies makes for a delicious weeknight dinner. And this recipe is so good you’ll be making it for all your guests too!
What could be better than creating a delicious meal in just one dish? If you’re like me and the dishes never seem to end, recipes like that can be a real life-saver especially in the middle of the week.
One of my favorite one-dish meals is baked chicken with lots of tomatoes, chilies, and basil. Add some bread to soak up the tomato and chicken juices and you’re good to go. It’s not only an easy and healthy meal, it’s also one of the most delicious things that I cook.
Scroll down to read more about how it all comes together or click here to jump straight down to the recipe.
Video: How To Make A One Pan Chicken Dinner
Perfect Dish For Company
Even though this chicken recipe is pretty simple, it works great for when you have company over. Put everything together and throw it in the oven and you get to actually visit with your guests instead of watching over pans in the kitchen.
Tons of flavor. Juicy chicken. A tiny bit of heat from red chilies. The fresh flavor of basil tying it altogether. Plus, the red of the tomatoes and green from the fresh basil look very appetizing!
How To Make Easy Baked Chicken With Tomatoes
While the oven preheats, arrange the skinless, bone-in chicken thighs in a single layer in the dish you’ll be baking in. I use my 12″ cast iron skillet. You can use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer, but you’ll reduce the baking time.
Topple in the grape or cherry tomatoes and sprinkle in the chili slices and 15 large basil leaves. (The chilies and basil will get blackened during the bake, that’s okay.) Drizzle everything with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake until chicken is cooked through to 165°F, 45 minutes to an hour, and then add some more fresh basil leaves on top to serve. That’s it, one pan in the oven and you’re done!
Try serving this over pasta with a nice side salad for a complete meal.
Podcast Episode About Making Baked Chicken With Tomatoes, Basil, And Red Chilies
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this chicken, along with some other great tips, by clicking the play button below:Print
There’s nothing as easy as a big pan of baked chicken and veggies for a delicious weeknight dinner. And this recipe is so good you’ll be making it for all your guests too! If using boneless chicken thighs instead of the bone-in ones called for in the recipe, reduce the cooking time from 45 to 30 minutes.
- 3.5 lbs. skinless bone-in chicken thighs (about 8)*
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1–2 red chilies, sliced (don’t even bother to remove the seeds)
- 15 large basil leaves (torn up a bit), plus 10-12 smaller ones for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a single layer in a large rimmed pan or baking dish (I use my 12″ cast iron skillet). Topple in the tomatoes. Scatter everything with the chili slices and the 15 large basil leaves. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes to an hour. The chilies and basil leaves will be blackened. But they taste good, don’t worry.
- Scatter the remaining 10-12 basil leaves over top before serving.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
This post originally appeared in April 2014 and was revised and republished in September 2023.