Baked Chicken with Tomatoes, Basil, and Red Chilies
A big pan of baked chicken and veggies makes for a delicious weeknight dinner. And this recipe is so good you’ll be making it for all your guests too!
One Dish Meals
What could be better than creating a delicious meal in just one dish? If you’re like me and the dishes never seem to end, recipes like that can be a real life-saver especially in the middle of the week.
This Italian Chicken and Cauliflower all gets made on a baking sheet and my Salsa Chicken gets put together in just one baking dish.
One of my favorite one-dish meals is baked chicken with lots of tomatoes, chilies, and basil. Add some bread to soak up the tomato and chicken juices and you’re good to go. It’s not only an easy and healthy meal, it’s also one of the most delicious things that I cook.
Perfect Dish for Company
Even though this recipe is pretty simple, it works great for when you have company over. Put everything together and throw it in the oven and you get to actually visit with your guests instead of watching over pans in the kitchen.
Tons of flavor. Juicy chicken. A tiny bit of heat from red chilies. The fresh flavor of basil tying it altogether. Plus, the red of the tomatoes and green from the fresh basil look very appetizing!
How to Make Baked Chicken with Tomatoes, Basil, and Red Chilies
While the oven preheats, arrange the skinless, bone-in chicken thighs in a single layer in the dish you’ll be baking in. I use my 12″ cast iron skillet. Topple in the tomatoes and sprinkle in the chili slices and 15 large basil leaves. (The chilies and basil will get blackened during the bake, that’s okay.) Drizzle everything with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake until chicken is cooked through, 45 minutes to an hour and then add some more fresh basil leaves on top to serve. That’s it, one pan in the oven and you’re done!
There’s nothing as easy as a big pan of baked chicken and veggies for a delicious weeknight dinner. And this recipe is so good you’ll be making it for all your guests too!
- 3.5 lbs. skinless bone-in chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1–2 red chillies, sliced (don’t even bother to remove the seeds)
- 15 large basil leaves (torn up a bit), plus 10-12 smaller ones for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a single layer in a large rimmed pan or baking dish (I use my 12″ cast iron skillet). Topple in the tomatoes. Scatter everything with the chili slices and the 15 large basil leaves. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes to an hour. The chilies and basil leaves will be blackened. But they taste good, don’t worry.
- Scatter the remaining 10-12 basil leaves over top before serving.
Video by Leigh Olson. Article, photos and recipe by Christine Pittman.
This post originally appeared in April 2014 and was revised and republished in September 2020.