Easy Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Recipe is a super-easy yet impressive summer dessert. You grill some store-bought angel food cake and you grill some honey-dipped strawberries. Then you top it with a puff of Lemon and Basil Whipped Cream. It tastes like summer! This recipe is sponsored by Driscoll’s. To see more of my berry recipes, click here.
I have a question for you: Have you ever grilled strawberries before?
They’re my new favorite thing. You thread strawberries on skewers, brush them with a bit of honey and then grill just until some dark marks appear. It makes the strawberries jammy and sweet on the outside but they still hold their shape.
I have another question for you: Have you ever grilled angel food cake before?
It’s my new second favorite thing. You slice the cake and then put the pieces on the grill for a minute or two per side. The grill marks and slightly crunchy caramelized exterior impress everyone every time. And no need to make your own angel food cake either. This dessert is glorious with store-bought cake.
For today’s dessert, I put together my two new favorite things: Grilled Strawberries and Grilled Angel Food Cake.
For the whipped cream, you can use a can or make some yourself. But in the recipe, I’ve taken an extra step and infused the whipping cream with basil and lemon before whipping. If you’re going to do this, you need to start earlier in the day or the day before. You warm the whipping cream up and add fresh basil and lemon rind. Then you chill it right back down to very very cold before you try to whip it. If it’s even slightly not-cold it won’t whip. Give it a good five hours in the fridge. At least.
I know it sounds like a pain but the basil and lemon whipped cream on this grilled strawberry shortcake is totally worth the extra time. It’s actually super-easy to make and it adds that special something, you know, that oh-my-gosh-this-is-so-good-I-can’t-stop-eating-this quality, to the desert.
And now, here’s my Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Recipe.
This Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Recipe is a super-easy yet impressive summer dessert. You grill some store-bought angel food cake and you grill some honey-dipped strawberries. Then you top it with a puff of Lemon and Basil Whipped Cream. It tastes like summer!
- 1 and ½ cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh basil
- Rind of 1 lemon, removed in strips
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- a 1 lb package of Driscoll’s strawberries (about 24), hulled
- 6 skewers
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 12 oz. Angel Food Cake (store-bought or homemade)
- At least four hours before serving, combine the whipping cream, basil and lemon rind in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave until warm, 1 to 1 and ½ minutes. Stir. Refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours. Strain and refrigerate cream for up to 24 hours.
- Use a stand mixer or egg beater at medium speed to whip the cream for 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar.
- Whip until soft peaks form, 4-6 minutes more. Refrigerate until serving.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Cut angel food cake into 6 wedges.
- Thread 4 strawberries onto each skewer.
- Drizzle each skewer of strawberries with 1 teaspoon of honey. Use a brush or fingers to spread it around and coat berries.
- Transfer berry skewers and angel food cake to the grill. Grill on one side until grill marks appear, 1-2 minutes. Flip and grill until grill marks appear on the other side, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from grill.
- Serve each slice of angel food cake with a skewer of grilled strawberries and about ½ cup of whipped cream.
Disclosure: This is a paid endorsement by Driscoll’s. All opinions are my own.
This post originally appeared in June, 2014. It was revised and republished in May, 2018.
9 Strawberry Shortcake Inspired Recipes | Simply Southern Baking
40+ of the Best Berry Desserts - Cupcake Diaries
Leave a Comment