Forget all about those cans and boxes and learn how to make Green Bean Casserole from scratch! It’s easy and simple to do.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed an cut into 2 inch lengths
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 (370ml) can of 2% evaporated milk or whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine the beans, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a 13×9″ cake pan.
- Roast for 10 minutes and then shake the pan. Continue to roast until beans are fork tender, 10-15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, 7-9 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the flour. Stir well to coat all the mushrooms in flour. Stir in the evaporated milk. Heat while stirring continuously until the liquid is bubbling and thick.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed (I add about another 1/4 teaspoon of each).
- Pour the creamy mushrooms over the beans and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and bake until browned on top, 18-22 minutes.