Homemade Green Bean Casserole
Forget all about those cans and boxes and learn how to make Green Bean Casserole from scratch!
Today’s recipes is a from-scratch green bean casserole that tastes similar to the classic canned version, but is made with fresh ingredients. And it’s still easy to make!
Oh, I did throw in one canned ingredient just to keep it traditional: Canned 2% Evaporated Milk. I find the evaporated milk adds creaminess without a lot of fat. But you can use plain whole milk instead if you’d prefer.
If you’re looking for a great dish to serve with these beans, check out this healthy version of Sweet Potato Casserole. You’re going to love them both, I know it!
Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
This Green Bean Casserole recipe is creamy, mushroomy and oniony like the original but without all the canned foods. Even with the use of fresh ingredients, it's still a snap to make.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed an cut into 2 inch lengths
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 (370ml) can of 2% evaporated milk or whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine the beans, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a 13x9" cake pan. Roast for 10 minutes and then shake the pan. Continue to roast until beans are fork tender, 10-15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, 7-9 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the flour. Stir well to coat all the mushrooms in flour. Stir in the evaporated milk. Heat while stirring continuously until the liquid is bubbling and thick. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed (I add about another 1/4 teaspoon of each).
- Pour the creamy mushrooms over the beans and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and bake until browned on top, 18-22 minutes.
This post originally appeared in November of 2013 and has been revised and republished in November of 2016.
15 Responses to “Homemade Green Bean Casserole”
- The Best Green Bean Casserole Recipes
- Sausage Stuffing with Pears - Cook the Story
- Best Stuffing Recipe and Tutorial
- Cooking a Turkey Breast with Stuffing and Roasted Vegetables
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Vegetable Casserole From Scratch | All Documents
- 100 Healthy Holiday Side Dish Recipes - Jeanette's Healthy Living
- 53 Best Thanksgiving Recipes (All the Side Dish Recipes You'll Ever Need!) | Two Healthy Kitchens
- Thanksgivukkah | amormichelle
- 52 Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- #DailyYummers Grandma’s Green Bean Casserole | Live with Lady Chi