Easy Hamburger Dip with Real Cheese
A quick and easy hamburger dip that everyone will seriously love. It’s really cheesy but doesn’t use any processed cheese so it has a real rich cheddar flavor.
So here’s what happened. I started taking my favorite easy Beer Cheese Dip to potlucks with me. And then people started requesting it specifically. Like, “It’s a potluck. You’re bringing that cheese dip, right? Please?? Please???”
I swear I must have made 10 batches over the holidays. And then you you know what happened? I got bored of it.
So last week when I was invited to an appetizer party and that dip was again requested, I said, “Sure. But I’m going to change it up a bit.”
Change it up I did! I made a Cheesy Hamburger Dip. It’s sooo good. It has lots of ground beef plus salsa for an extra ton of flavor. You can use a homemade salsa or one from the store. Spicy or mild, you pick.
The great thing about this hamburger dip is that it uses the same basic idea as that other now-forgotten recipe. The base is an easy flour and milk mixture. Then you add…wait for it…real cheese. Most hamburger dips call for processed cheese, a big chunk of the stuff. This one instead uses real shredded cheddar. It’s still creamy like the other versions but it has that real cheddar flavor instead of that processed flavor.
See, look how creamy and cheesy that is:
Here’s the recipe. Have a great day!
Cheesy Hamburger Dip
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups (about 3/4 of a pound) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef, salt and garlic powder. Cook stirring occasionally until cooked through, 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the flour really well. Slowly stir in the milk. Then stir in the salsa.
- Put the sauce pan over medium heat, stirring often until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add the cheddar 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition until it's melted in.
- Serve immediately. Or cover and refrigerate. Reheat in the microwave for 45 seconds at a time, stirring after each heat, until heated through. Or reheat on the stove over medium heat, stirring frequently.