Use this brine with a thawed 10-12 lb. whole turkey. Avoid purchasing a turkey labeled “kosher,” “enhanced,” or “self-basting,” which are typically already brined before packaging.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this brine, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="turkeybrinerotd"][/sc]
- 2 large onions, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 large heads garlic, cloves smashed, peeled
- 1 cup tightly packed parsley leaves and stems (about 1 oz.)
- 1/2 cup tightly packed sage leaves (about 1.5 oz.)
- 1/2 cup fresh rosemary leaves (about 1 oz.)
- ¼ cup dried thyme
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 gallon water
- 1 (7 lb.) bag ice (optional)
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender pitcher add onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and 2 cups of the water.
- Cover and blend on high until smooth. Transfer mixture to a 5-gallon container. Add remaining water, stir to combine.