Use this brine with a thawed 10-12 lb. whole turkey. Avoid purchasing a turkey labeled “kosher,” “enhanced,” or “self-basting,” which are typically already brined before packaging. Brine the whole turkey for at least 4 hours but as long as 12 hours, keeping the turkey cold at all times.
- 2 large onions, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 large heads garlic, cloves smashed, peeled
- 1 cup tightly packed parsley leaves and stems (about 1 oz.)
- 1/2 cup tightly packed sage leaves (about 1.5 oz.)
- 1/2 cup fresh rosemary leaves (about 1 oz.)
- 1/4 cup dried thyme
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 16 cups of water, divided
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender pitcher add onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and 2 cups of the water.
- Cover and blend on high until smooth. Transfer mixture to a 5-gallon container. Add remaining water, stir to combine.