Bake these easy Swedish meatballs in the oven. Make the gravy in the same pan. Delicious is easy.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make these meatballs, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="ovenbakedswedishmeatballsrotd"][/sc]
- Baking spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 lb. lean ground pork
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a large rimmed pan with baking spray. Put 1/4 cup of the flour on a plate.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs and the milk. Into a large bowl put the ground beef, ground pork, egg, black pepper, 1 teaspoon of the salt, allspice, and nutmeg. Add the breadcrumb and milk mixture. Stir it together but don’t overdo it. Too much mixing makes the meatballs tough.
- Roll the meat mixture into balls with a 1 to 1 and 1/4 inch diameter in size. Each one will weigh under an ounce, if you want to weigh them to get a sense of the size. You’ll end up with about 40 meatballs.
- After rolling each ball, drop it onto the plate of flour and roll it gently so that it gets a light coating of flour. Put the floured balls in a single layer on the oiled pan. Spray each ball with baking spray.
- Bake until they’re very brown on the bottom, 20-25 minutes. Use a meta spatula to scrape from under and flip the meatballs. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- While the meatballs cook, put the remaining 1/4 cup of flour into a jar that has a tight-fitting lid. Add the beef broth, put on the lid and shake it well, tilting it from side to side to dislodge any flour from the bottom and really get it mixed into the broth. Take off the lid and add the whipping cream and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Shake again.
- Drain fat from the meatball pan, if any. Pour broth mixture all at once onto the hot pan of meatballs. Put it back into the oven and cook until bubbling at the edges, about 5 minutes. Stir.
- Cook until thick and hot, 4-5 minutes more. Transfer to a serving bowl.