Use this no-spread sugar cookie recipe and never be disappointed again with cookies that end up looking totally different than the cookie cutter!
- 1 stick butter (½ cup)
- ¾ cup white, granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 and ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Make the dough. Cut butter into ¼-inch pieces. Let stand 10 minutes to soften.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add butter and sugar. Beat on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- With mixer on low, add egg and vanilla; increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat until egg is well incorporated.
- Sift together flour, salt, and cornstarch. With mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture to bowl. When crumbly, increase speed to high, beat 1 minute.
- Transfer dough to the middle of a piece of parchment cut to the size of sheet pan. Place a second sheet of the same sized parchment over the dough; slightly flatten dough. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to ¼-inch thick.
- Transfer parchment with dough to a sheet pan. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Make the cookies. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Remove sheet pan from refrigerator; remove top parchment paper. Transfer bottom parchment with dough to flat surface.
- Cut desired shapes from dough. Remove excess; set aside. Add new parchment to same sheet pan. Place cookie shapes on parchment-lined sheet pan, 1-inch apart.
- Place pan in oven. Bake 9-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned on bottom.
- Remove pan from oven. Immediately transfer cookies to cooling rack.
Allow cookies to cool completely before adding icing or decorations.