Learn how to get perfect pan-roasted tri-tip steak. Get wonderfully seasoned tender beef with this steak recipe.
- 2 lb. tri-tip steak
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- Rub the steak all over with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Proceed to Step #2, or do this Optional Step: Set seasoned steak on rack over a plate or pan in the fridge for 8-12 hours. Do not rinse it or wipe it off before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil and swirl it around to coat skillet.
- Add the steak to the skillet. Cook undisturbed until well-browned underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until well-browned underneath, another 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer skillet with steak to the oven. Cook until desired internal temperature is achieved in the thickest part of the steak, recognizing that the thinner parts and edges will be a bit more well-done than that. Test 5 minutes before the lowest times given using an instant-read or electric probe thermometer.*
- Remove skillet from oven and immediately take steak out of pan. Set it on a cutting board or platter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice tri-tip thinly against the grain and serve.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*Timing and Temperature Guide
(Note: times given do not include stove time, just the time spent in the oven after the initial stovetop sear is completed).
- Rare (125°F): remove from the oven at 120°F, about 12-17 minutes
- Medium-Rare (135°F): remove from the oven at 130°F, about 15-20 minutes
- Medium (145°F): remove from oven at 140°F, about 20-25 minutes
- Medium-Well (150°F): remove from oven at 145°F, about 23-28 minutes
- Well-Done (160°F): remove from oven at 155°F, about 25-33