This delicious homemade Irish cream has less fat than the original because of a smart substitution that you won’t even notice. But trust me, it tastes just as good. It’s way cheaper than buying a bottle too!
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup whiskey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1–2 Tbsp. hot chocolate powder
- 1 tsp. instant espresso or coffee powder
- Into a 2 cup measuring cup combine 3 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch until smooth.
- Add enough milk to make up a cup. Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium stirring constantly until very thick and bubbling.
- Remove from heat. (If at any point this mixture clumps up, whisk it to recombine). Scrape the thickened milk into a blender.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, whiskey, vanilla, 1 tablespoon of the hot chocolate powder, and the espresso powder.
- Blend until mixed. Taste. Add more hot chocolate powder if desired.
- Pour into a container with a tight-fitting lid. Put on the lid and refrigerate until serving.
If you want the full-fat experience, simply omit the cornstarch and substitute heavy cream for the milk. Start by putting the cold cream into a blender and then continue with the recipe.