This Instant Pot recipe for pork roast will become a family favorite. The salt and pepper mixture creates a tasty crust and seasons the drippings for an out-of-this-world gravy.
- 1 and ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- A 2 lb. boneless pork shoulder (also called pork butt)
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth or water
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- In a small bowl, combine salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Rub pork roast with the salt mixture on all sides.
- Select the Sauté button to heat the Instant Pot. When “Hot” is displayed, add the olive oil.
- Add the seasoned pork roast and sear on all sides, approximately 4 minutes per side.
- When roast has been seared on all sides, press Cancel and remove roast from the Instant Pot. Place on a plate and set aside.
- Add the broth or water and the garlic powder to the Instant Pot, scraping any bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Lay the roast on top of the trivet and arrange the onions around.
- Cover pot, lock on the lid, and set the steam release valve to Sealing.
- Select the Meat/Stew or Pressure Cook button and set the cook time to 30 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, allow the pot to sit for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release by moving the valve to Venting.
- Optional Step: To crisp the crust, preheat oven to 425˚F while the roast is resting.
- Remove the pork to a sheet pan or roasting pan if using crisping method. Place in preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- If not using the crisping method: Remove the pork to a cutting board.
- Carve the roast into 1/2” slices.
For a quick out-of-this-world gravy, follow my Instant Pot Gravy recipe.