Serving a juicy, tender roast beef dinner doesn’t have to break the bank. With a couple of simple methods, an economical cut of beef can be turned into roast fit for a holiday meal.
- 3 – 5 lb. eye of round beef roast
- ½ tsp. coarse Kosher salt per pound of meat
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. pepper
- Rub all sides of the roast with salt. Calculate ½ teaspoon of salt per pound of meat.
- Wrap the roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator after 18 to 24 hours, unwrap and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat oven to 350˚F.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the roast and season with the pepper.
- On medium-high heat, heat remaining oil in an oven-proof, stainless or cast iron skillet until smoking. Sear roast on all sides until golden brown, about 3 – 4 minutes per side.
- Remove pan from heat. Insert the probe of the thermometer through one end so that it reaches the middle of the roast.
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 130˚F for medium rare.
- Remove from the oven and allow the roast to rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Carve and serve.