This Chicken and Dumpling Soup has the dumplings that I grew up eating. They’re somewhere between noodle and spatzle, but bigger. It’s pure comfort in a bowl.
Note: To make this soup in 15 minutes, first read through the recipe. As you do, gather together all of the ingredients, tools, pots and pans that you will need so that everything is at your fingertips. But don’t prep any ingredients. All prep is included in the 15 minutes and is explained in the instructions section. You’ll be doing it as you go. Enjoy! -Christine xo
Yield 10 cups.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups carrot matchsticks (sometimes packaged as shredded carrots)
- 1 medium onion
- Small handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4–6 Tbsp. milk
- 6 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Pour the stock into a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the olive oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. While it heats, roughly chop the carrot matchsticks and add them to the pot. Peel and chop the onion and add it as well.
- Chop the parsley and set it aside. Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces. Set aside.
- When the microwave is done, add the broth to the pot along with the chicken and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir and cover. Increase heat to high. When it comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- While the broth is coming to a boil, make the dumpling dough in a small bowl by combining the flour with the baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the parsley and then enough of the milk to make a stiff wet dough.
- Stir the soup and get it to a really low simmer. Drop the dough into the soup by the teaspoonful, dropping them all around the pot so they’re far apart and less likely to stick together. Don’t stir for 30 seconds. Stir gently.
- Increase heat to a stronger simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until dumplings are cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the whipping cream. Serve.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!